[Tanglu] Tanglu 4 (Dasyatis kuhlii) released!

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Sun Jun 11 16:33:44 EDT 2017

We are proud to announce the release of Tanglu 4 (Dasyatis kuhlii) today!

Why did the release take so long?

This release took exceptionally long to complete, and we apologize for
that. Tanglu 4 has been ready and sitting in the pipeline for months,
but we did not have enough manpower to handle the last mile of the
release process, especially due to our project leader being busy with
work on another Debian derivative for Purism[1], a company that builds
security-focused Linux-based computers.

Due to the experience with the Dasyatis release, we will make a couple
of changes to how we develop Tanglu.
No final decision has been made on any of the changes yet, but it
looks like we will transform Tanglu into having one continuously
updated rolling-release branch where fresh new stuff is added and the
main development happens, and one stable release tracking the last
respective Debian stable release. That way, the distribution will
become much easier to maintain for a small team (a rolling-release
branch requires less manpower).
By aligning our stable releases with Debian, we will also greatly
reduce the maintenance cost of stable releases by benefiting from
Debian's security support. Of course, those stable releases will have
all the Tanglu modifications, and will likely be directly branched off
the rolling release track. This means that there will be one stable
Tanglu release per stable Debian release, and a continuously updated
rolling Tanglu release for people who like to have the latest and
greatest software and maybe participate in Tanglu development.

Additionally, we will switch to using Laniakea[2] for our
infrastructure. Laniakea is the successor to the existing archive
toolkit we use to develop Tanglu today (which is a set of pretty
extensive Python scripts around Debian tools such as the Debian
Archive Kit (dak)), but it's much more sophisticated and generalized,
which allows it to be used for Tanglu as well as Purism's PureOS[3]
and possibly other Debian derivatives as well. By making use of it, we
can use the synergy between PureOS and Tanglu in order to advance
both. Laniakea will also allow us to automate a great deal of the
project's task, so less humans are needed to do tasks that machines
can do. Additionally, it will allow for more fine-grained permissions
on archive management tasks in future.

Aside from the technical aspects, we will also need to reform our
community structure a bit, so less power is centralized on few people
who then become a bottleneck for development. Additionally, we need to
double down on marketing and non-coding tasks, so if you like the
project and want to take on any non-coding task (writing howtos/blog
articles, draw wallpapers, improve the GUI, make a better website,
...), please contact us!

We will also likely re-initiate the process of becoming part of a
bigger FLOSS organization to securely handle money for us, so people
can help us sustain our infrastructure by making donations.

All of these changes need code to be written, infrastructure to change
and people to have more time to work on it, so there will be some
delay until the changes are implemented and we can publish the alpha
version of what will become Tanglu 5 (Elysia timida) - but don't
worry, it will happen and we have a good plan for it.

What's in the release?
--------------------------------

Tanglu 4 comes - due to being frozen for far too long - without the
latest and greatest packages, but still with some notable changes. The
KDE Plasma version is at 5.8, while the GNOME desktop is available in
version 3.20 with some pieces from GNOME 3.22. The KDE Plasma design
was updated with some suggestions from KDE designers at Akademy last
year.

Tanglu is a fully usrmerged[4] system by default now, with no option
to switch back to split-/usr or opt-in option (like in previous
releases). Additionally, we support installing on UEFI systems without
legacy mode now, which was a much requested feature and took quite a
while to make it work reliably with the Calamares installer. We do
not, however, support secure boot on EFI systems yet.

Tanglu Core received the usual amount of updates, serving as a base OS
for everyone who does not want a preconfigured desktop installed.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release!

You can get Tanglu 4 ISO images from a set of mirrors. Check out
http://tanglu.org/download/ to download the new release.

Have fun with Tanglu 4 and thank you for following the project for so
many years!

Bugtracker: https://tracker.tanglu.org/
User Forums: http://tangluusers.org/

[1]: https://puri.sm/