[Tanglu-devel] How to donate financially

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 10:04:37 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net>wrote:

> 2013/3/23 Jayson Rowe <jayson.rowe at gmail.com>:
> > Also, I wanted to mention, I don't have a lot of money to donate, but I'd
> > like to give what I can, when I can to the project. Is there a Paypal
> > account set up where I can drop a few dollars here and there when I can?
> Setting up an account like this is difficult, as there would be one
> person in control of the money, and to be honest I don't like that, as
> it often leads to problems. (Some people don't trusting that person,
> we need to ensure where the money goes and how much we have etc.)
> My long-term goal ist to create a Tanglu non-profit organisation,
> which would be able to handle donations properly and to receive bigger
> donations, so we would have a "Tanglu e.V.", similar to what KDE did,
> But that strongly depends on the success of the project and if it is
> worth it (= if the community is big enough)
> At time, the most helpful thing is a server donation, e.g. a simple
> virtual server or rootserver somewhere which can run a build-daemon or
> another part of our infrastructure. That would be incredibly useful
> and immediate help.
> I will discuss the money aspects with the other founding members
> again, and maybe we will come up with a good idea. But for pure money
> donations, as said, I currently see a huge chance of trouble. (Unless
> you bind them to a specific thing, e.g. "me and person X and Y are
> paying server costs for server Z")
> Regards,
>     Matthias

Hi, thanks for the info. I wish I had a server I could donate, but I don't.
Please keep us informed if you work out a non-profit, or some other way to
contribute financially. Like I said, I wouldn't be able to give much, just
a few dollars here and there. Sometimes I wind up with what I call "loose
change" in my Paypal account after I've sold/bought stuff on eBay - not
enough to really do anything with, and instead of transferring that small
amount back to my bank account, I like to donate it to open source projects
that I like and use.

Thanks again,
Jayson