[Tanglu-devel] We need build servers!

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Wed Mar 27 18:33:37 EDT 2013

2013/3/27 Alexander R. <ari at housingsklave.at>:
> [...]
> Could you give us some estimated specifications a build server should
> have at least - for those users not very familiar with build processes.
>
> I have some old servers at hand, but I'm not quite sure if they fit
> our needs.
This is a good question, because honestly I have no idea about that
;-) It is the first time for me setting up an autobuilder network.
But in general, you can build anything on any machine - at least
smaller packages should work. If you can build the Kernel, LibreOfice
and Firefox on that machine, it should work as buildd. (Not everything
at the same time, of course ^^)
See [1] for some buildd info. You can also check out the Debian
machines here: [2] (Everything which has the buildd flag builds
packages, or look for names of classical componists, because that is
the naming policy for builders @Debian)
The minimum buildd requirement seems to be about 60GB of space and 2GB
RAM. But I think even less would still be working as buildd - it will
just be a very slow buildd then.

[1]: http://wiki.debian.org/buildd
[2]: http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi

KDE-Developer    | GNOME-Contributor