Non-free Linux firmware

cameron camerontnorman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 16:09:42 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Matthias Klumpp
<matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
> Hi!
> For the Aequorea release, we still have to decide how we should handle
> the non-free firmware, which is required for some hardware and some
> features (e.g. KMS with free graohics drivers).
> These are the options we have:
>  1) Ship the firmware in main
>  2) Ship firmware in non-free, like Debian, and enable non-free by
> default
>  3) Use extra-repo for firmware and enable it by default
>  4) Don't ship non-free firmware by default
> Is there some preference for a certain option?
> Cheers,
>     Matthias
>
> --
> Debian Developer | Freedesktop-Developer
> I welcome VSRE emails. See http://vsre.info/

Hey, I am not involved with this project, but I do have an opinion on
this.

Shipping non-free firmware, at least what linux includes by default,
will make the distro more welcoming to inexperienced users.
Additionally, non-free software/firmware should be separated from the
rest of the distribution. I recall the Debian president (? is this the
title) saying that having non-free software in a special repo was
better than a section of the repo, as Debian currently does it.

So, in summary, 3, but also have other nonfree soft/firmware and
contrib in the repo too.