First impressions

Diggory Hardy lists at dhardy.name
Fri Sep 13 05:24:18 EDT 2013

Following on from Georg's first impressions, I've also just installed.

My first impressions are good. It's got a sane package manager and lots of
things work :-)

Some notes:

First thing I did after adding the repositories was to install the keyring. It
might be nice if the wiki mentioned how to verify this (or better if Debian
included it).

The non-free section is needed to install firmware; I just updated the wiki to
point this out. I then had a conflict installing firmware (resolved by removing
linux-firmware, but I guess that shouldn't be necessary):

(Reading database ... 95489 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-firmware (from .../linux-firmware_1.106tanglu1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-
firmware_1.106tanglu1_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/lib/firmware/v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw', which is also in
package firmware-linux-nonfree 0.40
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-firmware_1.106tanglu1_all.deb
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Press Return to continue.

I was slightly disappointed that digikam didn't install: it depends on
libkdcraw20 when libkdcraw22 is the current version. It would also be nice to
get more up-to-date KDE on there at some point.

This was only little test session on a desktop PC last night. I hope to get
more usage in in the near future!

Diggory