Upgrade report from Debian stable to Debian tanglu 14-01

ca2013 at arcor.de ca2013 at arcor.de
Fri Jan 10 13:39:21 EST 2014

This is a success story. I was able to dist-upgrade a test system to tanglu 14-01, stirring up only the following issues.

* The test machine is a Xfce system, with some left over packages still remaining from before escaping from gnome 3 land. As such I had to remove the following packages to get rid of conflicts for the dist-upgrade to start downloading: gnome-shell, gnome-settings-daemon, empathy,libgeocode-glib0

*After downloading, the dist-upgrade ended up in an endless loop complaining about conflicting sysvinit and sysvsystemd. It succeeded after I apt-get removed the sysvinit package by force.

* Updating grub always resulted in warnings about not finding volume 'null'. This apparently stopped after I later manually executed "update-initramfs -k all -u".

* Rebooting failed due to http://bugs.debian.org/712999 (newer kernels require a grub rootdelay to be explicitly set on some hardware).

* Icons were missing in the lightdm greeter, until setting "theme-name=Tango" in lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

Update instructions:
* Please mention the proper command to import the archive.key (wget+apt-key or dpkg -i keyring package?)

Release notes:
* Please provide information about security updates.

Side note:
* The package smartmontools apparently does not yet work with systemd.
* Add a new divsion element to the xfce panel (set to expanding) before the elments that you want to keep aligned to the right.