GNOME lovers needed for live-cd help!

Thomas Funk t.funk at web.de
Tue Jan 14 16:57:24 EST 2014

Am 14.01.2014 16:40, schrieb Matthias Klumpp:
> 2014/1/14 Thomas Funk <t.funk at web.de>:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> From: Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net>
>>> Date: 2014/1/13
>>> Subject: GNOME lovers needed for live-cd help!
>>> To: Tanglu development list <tanglu-devel at lists.tanglu.org>
>>>

>>> Hi!
>>> This is just an information for people liking GNOME: While the KDE
>>> live-cd works fine, the GNOME-CD still has issues, mainly that GDM3 is
>>> unable to start the GNOME session. If the GNOME-Shell is launched
>>> manually, it is functional.
>>> So, if you have some GNOME knowledge and would like to fix this,
>>> please get in contact. Otherwise, we won't be able to fix this issue
>>> and won't provide GNOME live-cds at release time.
>>> Regards,
>>>     Matthias
>> I've tested it and the problem could be the gnome-session-daemon.
>>
>> It ends up in a segfault:
>> [....] gnome-settings-daemon [...]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp bf9f5bbc error 4 in gnome-settings-daemon[8048000+8000]
> Hmm, we need debug symbols to properly test this (and run it with gdb
> - which might already be helpful even without debug symbols). Also,
> strace -r would probably produce some useful information.
> I will search the bug reports. Maybe packaging 3.10.2 might already
> help (it's a minor release and minor effort to do). We are linking new
> GNOME components, like gsd, against a few older ones - but I don't
> think that this caused the problem here.
> Regards,
>     Matthias

Attached are 2 straces (made with 'strace -r -f -o stracex.txt gnome-settings-daemon')

strace1.txt:
This is the initial one with Tanglu packages.

With gnome-settings-daemon package from Debian experimental the same issue occurs.

The bug list on its' package page is outdated => it's from the unstable package.
So, no proper bug exists for this issue.

strace2.txt:
I've checked for the last problem before segfault
=> /usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/atk10.mo which doesn't exist.

In the Debian package this mo file is also missing. So I created a softlink to
/usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/atk10.mo

But now it ends

Hope these straces helps ...

- Thomas -