disable mlocate cronjob?, update-manager?

ca2013 at arcor.de ca2013 at arcor.de
Thu Jan 16 11:20:11 EST 2014

I found the daily mlocate cron job made the (not latest hardware) system much less responsive, so I disabled the cronjob.
Those that use the locate command may enable it, but maybe it does not have to run and hammer every tanglu hardisk daily by default?

Does the update-mangaer work for others? On the test machine here, the configuration options to select the sources to fetch updates from are grayed out, and the updates had to be apt-get installed manually (though they seemed to have been downloaded already).