Tanglu B-Release name voting will happen soon

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Mon Jan 20 18:39:15 EST 2014

Hi!
First of all, we need a release name - it is used everywhere in the
archive, dak requires it to be set, it's used in urls etc., so there
is no simple way around it (other then using "1.2" as codename, but
that's dumb).
When communicating with user, we should use the version numbers, which
IMHO should start at a low number, such as 1.x, or be the release-year
(like 2014). Having letters in there is not a good idea, we can use
them to mark alpha/beta releases, and they also don't look nice.
Having a 1.Month-scheme is nice, because you have some information on
when the distro was released, for those who care about that. For
everyone else, it doesn't matter to know release-date from the version
number - it should simply be a number counted upwards. They will just
see that 1.2 << 1.8. And Tanglu displays it's version number and
codename.
What might make sense would be to skip the second version number, and
just do it like Fedora: Release Tanglu 1, 2, 3, 4, ... The second
version number could be reserved for service packs (which we can't do
at time, not enough people working on stuff).

P.S: The reason for having codenames starting with a letter from a to
z is of course that you can order them and know which version came
before the other. So we already provide many clues for people who want
this information.