Tanglu B-Release name voting will happen soon

ca2013 at arcor.de ca2013 at arcor.de
Tue Jan 21 13:46:51 EST 2014

Hello Ink,
you seem to know too much about tanglu. ;-)

Thanks for posting the examples!

> 1)
> Basically, the common user is not concerned with the release date.
> Does somebody care about the year/month Windows 7 or 8 were released?
> I think no, he wants to know only 2 things:
> - if he's running the last, the second last or an obsolete version.
> - if the version installed on his machine is still supported.

To know this, you have to know, or look up, when version X was released.
And this differs for every distro and different release/support schedules.

Whereas, when you first sit down at machine with a version 2014-02, that
says all you need to know that it is running a current version that is less
then a year old, or not.

> Windows 8.1 is clearly a minor update to 8 as it's version number suggests.
> Sorry for using the ?bad guy? as an example but it fits the error
> prone common user paradigm :-)

No problem. It may make a difference that they don't have a release twice
a year, though.

> When I'll hear the news that Tanglu 5 is out, I'll check my current
> install, do the math and say: "I have still the version 3, so I'm two
> versions behind, it's time to upgrade!"
> Drawing conclusions from numbers 1.2, 1.8, 2.2 and 2.8 is not so
> straightforward.

Hm well, when one reads an annoucement about the Tanglu release 2014-02,
nobody has to know or check anything to know it is new (at the
moment) and old (next year).

If one checks the version that is currently installed (imagine 2013-02),
one knows how old it is without having to know the particulare release schedule
of the distro, the date of the first release and to do the math.

> 2)
> The Ubuntu numbering convention is good and indicative and we have
> become accustomed over the years. While having more distributions
> named this way (YY.MM and YYYY.MM) could allow direct comparisons with
> releases of other distros, the drawback could become bigger for common
> users when looking for help on the web. If you have different patterns
> to remember: Ubuntu (YY.04, YY.10), Tanglu (YY.02, YY.08), some eight
> month cycle distro (YY.01, YY.09, YY.05), some random-cycle distro
> (YY.09, YY.12) how are you going to remember all those numbers
> correctly without the risk of messing them? "I need help with my
> install of Tanglu 14.04." "What? Are you sure?"
> Also, this is not very useful when comparing Debian and Tanglu versions.

The ubuntu numbering isn't that clear at all (as you show with your examples),
because it can be confused with traditional version numbers, and one finds tons of
references to totally unclear (for the casual user) nicknames.

If releases are simply called by their release date like "Tanglu 2014-02",
there is absolutely no special pattern to remember.

All additional knowledge is optional (release/support periods).

> 3)
> Tanglu is not a rolling distribution. Year and month numbering schemes
> seem more suitable for rolling distributions where install ISOs are
> periodical snapshots of the archive state and are rarely referred when
> asking for support (except install problems).

I don't really understand. Don't you see how it is also clearer to refer to Tanglu ISOs by
date instead of version X. (Say if a user finds a disk in his drawer.)

Cheers,
Chris