[Tanglu-users] Rolling or not

Marcus Moeller marcus.moeller at gmx.ch
Mon Feb 24 06:37:59 EST 2014

Hi again.

> As far as we can read on the website, Tanglu is a rolling distribution.
> Debian initially only provides security or bug fixes inside a version,
> so an apt-get upgrade is enough. But as Tanglu is based on Testing/Sid
> distribution, it might be necessary to make an apt-get dist-upgrade to
> get all packages updates (be careful what is removed sometime).
> I'm not sure this problem will be occured with Tanglu as everythink will
> be tested before release, but as Debian sid user, I know that it's
> needed often to use dist-upgrade to have all latest packages.
> For your information, in one sentence, dist-upgrade only mean "also
> install/remove new dependency for the updated packages" and is not
> dependent if it's a new release or not.
> I hope this give you an enlightenment of your question.

Thanks for your answer, Olivier.

 From what I have read between the lines in the FAQ, Tanglu will be
released-based. Meaning every half a year, there will be a new version
to which one could dist-upgrade.

The fact that it points to releasename specific repos, also underlines
this theory. Concerning upgrade vs dist-upgrade I am not yet sure what's
the best way to upgrade within one Release. The graphical update
application seems to do a regular apt-get upgrade.

Greets
Marcus